Frequently Asked Questions
Exams: Proctor FAQ
Proctoring an exam is a multi-step process. A proctor:
- Receives the exam via e-mail
- Administers the exam to the student
- Gathers the completed exam and submits it to the Engineering Online office via fax or as a scanned attachment to an e-mail
- Mails the original of the completed exam to the exam coordinator once the EOL office confirms receipt of the electronic version of the exam
To properly administer an exam or quiz, proctors should:
- Ensure that the student does not have access to the examination before or after the agreed testing period
- Verify the studentís identity through a photo ID
- Ensure the student does not have any unauthorized materials while taking the test
- Supervise the student while taking the exam
- Stop the student from working on his or her test paper when the allotted time period ends
- Collect the exam and send a faxed or scanned copy to the Engineering Online office
- May I require the student to provide an envelope and postage for mailing the completed exam or quiz to Engineering Online?
- Proctors are permitted to require that students provide an envelope and sufficient postage for mailing the completed exam or quiz to the Engineering Online office.
- If I am already a proctor for one or more Engineering Online students, do I have to complete a new proctor data form to serve as a proctor for another student?
- If you already serve as a proctor for one or more Engineering Online students, your proctor information is on file in the Engineering Online office, but only in association with the student(s) for whom you already proctor.
Part of the information we seek from proctors is the relationship they have with each Engineering Online student they will be supervising. To ensure the integrity of our distance education programs, Engineering Online has to evaluate the relationship selected proctors have to their respective students. Since some relationships automatically constitute a conflict of interest, it is important for the Engineering Online office to evaluate each studentís proctoring choice individually.
- Why am I being asked to complete the Proctor Data form again, when I have already been a proctor for the same student for several semesters?
- Engineering Online considers proctor data to be valid for a full year. If a student re-nominates the same proctor beyond that year, the proctor is asked to update his/her proctor data to ensure that the EOL office has current information.
- What should I do if I have not received an exam, but the student for whom I am a proctor said he/she received an e-mail indicating the exam has been sent to proctors?
- If you have not received an exam you believe has been sent, please check your spam or junk e-mail filter. Exams and quizzes are sent out as e-mail attachments. All proctors for a given exam are blind copy recipients of the e-mail. Occasionally, spam filters will flag these e-mails as spam or junk messages. You can reduce the likelihood of that happening by entering our exam coordinatorís e-mail address and e-mail domain into your approved list.
If you do not find the e-mail containing the exam in your spam filter, please contact the exam coordinator to resolve the issue.
- Since I proctor for more than one student, how can I tell which student needs to take the exam I just received?
- If you are unsure which student is taking an exam you have received, please refer to the student roster attached to the e-mail containing the exam. The list is organized by e-mail domain (everything after the @ symbol) and includes studentsí last names and first initials. If you are still unsure, please contact the exam coordinator.
- Students are required to notify proctors of an upcoming examination window, and coordinate with the proctor to find a suitable time to take the exam. It is the studentís responsibility to make initial contact with the proctor regarding exam scheduling, not the other way around.
- How do I know the completed exam or quiz I submitted via fax or as an e-mail attachment was received?
- When Engineering Online office receives the electronic copy of a completed exam or quiz, the exam coordinator will check to make sure that it is legible and complete. The exam coordinator will notify both you and the student via e-mail that the exam has been received. If the exam coordinator has questions about legibility or completeness, (s)he will contact both the student and the proctor to resolve the issue.
- How long does it take for me to receive notification that the Engineering Online office received the electronic version of a completed exam that I submitted?
- If a proctor sends a completed exam to the Engineering Online office by noon EST, he or she will generally receive receipt confirmation by the end of the business day. For exams and quizzes submitted after noon EST, proctors should receive a receipt confirmation by noon the following business day. During high volume times (such as final exam periods), there may be a delay in confirmation.